I'm going to take a quick sewing time-out and talk about something that's important to me. April is Autism Awareness month. Autism that is something that is close to my heart and close to my family. I have two sons with Autism (4 and 6 yrs old). Last week the CDC released the new Autism prevalence statistics and they are staggering.
- 1 in 88 American children have an Autism spectrum disorder.
- 1 in 54 boys in the United States have autism.
- That's a 78% increase compared to a decade ago.
- Those statistics are already 4 years old!
- Someone doesn’t have to have every indicator to be Autistic.
- Many states don’t require insurance companies to cover treatment.
- Children with Autism need advocates.
- Children and families with Autism need support and understanding.
Please take some time out to learn more about Autism and it's signs. Early intervention is extremely important, and it's imperative we know what to look for. Here are some links where you can find more information:
If you suspect your child has Autism, I encourage you to contact your Doctor. Do your own research and be your child's advocate. Sadly, many in the medical field aren't sufficiently knowledgeable about Autism.
I want to use April to make people more aware so I created the image below. If you'd like to spread awareness, feel free to save it and use it for your facebook timeline cover. I hope you'll join me.
A song that has been especially meaningful to me as I take the journey with my two boys: